Vector Lights on Waitangi Weekend
Friday, 2 February 2018
An extraordinary light and sound show telling the story of Hauturu-o-Toi (Little Barrier Is) will launch tonight, Friday 2 February with Vector Lights on Auckland Harbour Bridge, and run each night through to Waitangi Day, Tuesday 6 February.
Ngati Manuhiri, Ngati Rehua, Vector and Auckland Council have partnered to share a uniquely indigenous experience by using this contemporary innovation to depict an ancient cultural story.
Ngāti Manuhiri and Ngāti Rehua Chair Nicola MacDonald says, “We are delighted to partner with Vector lights to acknowledge our national day by celebrating our stories and heritage.
“Waitangi Day, the Treaty of Waitangi and our mana whenua iwi all have strong connections to the principle of kaitiaki – protection or guardianship of our natural environment. So the underlying purpose and message Vector Lights will tell this week is built upon this.”
Mayor Phil Goff says, “Waitangi Day is a special day for us. It is great that we can light up our harbour bridge to commemorate this significant day in our history and celebrate our identity as New Zealanders.”
Vector’s Chief Executive Simon Mackenzie is delighted mana whenua are so closely involved in the creation of the first Vector Lights show to be opened up to community input.
“Vector Lights is designed to give Aucklanders a focal point for celebration and recognition. What more appropriate time to reflect and celebrate who we are as 21st century Aucklanders than during the Waitangi Day weekend.”
Vector Lights launched for the first time on Saturday 27 January and has transformed the Auckland skyline. The first light show ran through to Auckland Anniversary Day on Monday 29 January. Tens of thousands of people turned out to viewing locations all over the city and online to enjoy the ground-breaking show.
Vector Lights on Waitangi weekend – what you need to know:
- The Waitangi light and sound show launches at 9pm on Friday 2nd and concludes on Waitangi Day, Tuesday 6th February.
- It is 10 minutes in duration, and will repeat on the hour until midnight
(9pm, 10pm, 11pm and midnight)
- Get out on one of these five nights and enjoy the experience from a view point around the Waitematā harbour.
- Audio: bring your mobile device and speaker with you! There is a dedicated audio stream synced to the light show at vector.co.nz/lights
- There will also be a live-stream online at the website.
- Share your experience on instagram and twitter with #vectorlights